Returning Safely to Campus: Reopening Guidelines for the 2020-2021 School Year
We have been working diligently planning and implementing both program options to accommodate the needs of our community. Our first day of classes is set to begin on Monday, August 17th. Please keep in mind that during COVID-19 times, changes can occur and plans could be modified according to mandates from the State, CDC, and Health officials.
Below you will find our Health and Safety measures, changes in procedures, and information on COVID-19 related situations. In the event that changes are recommended or required we will immediately revise our plan and notify families via email.
We truly appreciate your patience as we navigate through a school year unlike any other. Our Montessori Academy community has always stood strong and supported one another through unprecedented times, and we will continue to do so.
Enhanced Cleaning Practices
- All classrooms, bathrooms, and common areas will be disinfected/sanitized on a daily basis.
- Each student must have their own lunch box or order lunch through “Yummy in my Tummy”, and their own water bottle. Water fountains will not be available as per health guidelines.
- Each student will have their own box of art/writing materials to access – no mutual sharing.
Social Distancing Practices
- Plexi glass counter guards will be installed at the front desk on both buildings, to prevent close, face-to-face contact. Self-distancing floor stickers are displayed at the front office of each building and throughout the campus.
- Montessori Academy will encourage age-appropriate social distancing, while still maintaining the feeling of community within their classrooms.
- Lower School playground times will be staggered so that only one classroom is outside at a time. While students are outside, the classroom will be cleaned and sanitized.
- Toddlers through 3rd grade students will eat lunch in their classrooms to avoid large group gatherings. 4th through 8th grade students will have lunch in the lunch room in smaller groups, and space will be sanitized between groups.
- All staff members are required to enter the building wearing a mask and while social distancing is not feasible; additionally, face shields will be provided to staff by the school.
- Students age 2 and under, are not required to wear face masks.
- Students in 4th through 8th grade must wear a mask to enter the building, and when social distance is not feasible.
- Students in all other levels are strongly encouraged to wear a mask – it is recommended but not mandatory.
- Should a family decide to send a child with a face mask or shield, the family must understand that the child should be able to maintain appropriate mask etiquette.
All staff and students will have their temperature taken daily upon arrival. No-contact forehead thermometers will be utilized.
Teachers or administration will ask parents each morning if their child has exhibited or complained of any symptoms in the last 24 hours. They will also ask if the child has been exposed to anyone that is sick or has tested positive for COVID-19.
Sick Policy Increased
Any student or staff member exhibiting any symptoms of illness will be required to stay home, and may only return with a doctor’s note indicating a healthy status.
No Parents/Visitors On Campus
- Parents and visitors will not be permitted to enter the school. Any vendors that require entrance will be allowed to deliver by the administration’s side entrance.
- Vendors will be required to wear a mask, sanitize hands before entering, and have their temperature taken.
- As scheduled, carline times are staggered to accommodate social distancing.
- Parents will be required to stay in their car and wear a mask. The teacher will be at the car to receive the child, take their temperature, and escort the child to class.
- At pick up time, teachers will walk the child to the vehicle and parents will be required to buckle their child in. Remember to wear your mask.
All extra-curricular activities are suspended until further notice.
Virtual Orientation Sessions
Once classroom placement is confirmed, we will host a virtual orientation session. The schedule is as follows:
- Elementary (1st through 5th grade): Wednesday, August 12th
- Middle School (6th through 8th grade): Wednesday, August 12th
- Infant, Toddlers, and Young Montessorians: Thursday, August 13th
- Preschool and Kindergarten: Friday, August 14th
When a Child/Teacher Has COVID-19 Symptoms
- A person showing symptoms will immediately be removed from the classroom environment.
- Student must be picked up within 30 minutes. Teacher will leave immediately.
- Student/Teacher will remain out of school and may only return with a doctor’s note indicating a healthy status.
- If the doctor requires COVID-19 testing, the student/teacher must complete the test and remain out of school until a negative test result is obtained.
- A copy of the negative test result MUST be submitted before returning to campus.
- If the test is positive, the student/teacher MUST notify the school administration and remain out of the school and follow physician’s orders. A negative COVID-19 test result will be required to return to school. NO EXCEPTIONS.
When a Child/Teacher Has a Confirmed COVID-19 Case
- Administration will immediately contact the Broward County Health Department to report the case. If the student is in the lower school, DCF will also be contacted.
- Classroom students and teachers who have been exposed will be notified immediately. An email and RemindApp text will be sent to the classroom parents. The specific classroom(s) where the case has been confirmed, will be closed for 7 consecutive days (school/weekend days).
- If a student in a COVID-19 positive environment has a sibling in another classroom, the sibling must also remain home.
- Teachers will be sent for immediate COVID-19 testing. Teachers will not return to campus until he/she has received a negative test result.
- The student/teacher who tested positive must remain out of school and follow physician orders. A negative COVID-19 test result will be required to return to school.